Kidde 9CO5-LP With the use of sophisticated electronic components, the Kidde 9CO5-LP battery-operated carbon monoxide alarm protects you and your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Kidde KN-COB-B-LPM Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Battery operated (3AA batteries included) - Provides protection during power outages
Battery lockout system – Deters covering battery compartment without installation of batteries
Slide-out battery door cover – Gives immediate access to batteries
Test/reset button – Tests the unit for proper operation and can also reset the Carbon Monoxide alarm
Low battery signal – Alerts user when the battery needs to be replaced
Green LED – Flashes every 30-seconds to indicate the unit is operating properly
Red LED – When a dangerous level of carbon monoxide is detected the red LED will pulse and a loud alarm pattern will sound



 Nice piece of essential household equipment

This was easy to set up and install. I am glad that I did not buy another corded model, because this battery operated one can be installed in the best place for detection, not the best place for power. It the sensors in all these CO detectors have a definite life span, 5 years or so, and the other advantage of this model is it will not be nearly as expensive to own over its lifespan compared with the corded models.

While this one does not have the bells and whistles such as an LED panel to indicate CO levels and to remind you that it is functioning, it will alarm as soon as CO levels reach harmful levels, and it has a small green led that flashes every 30 seconds to inform you that it is operating and functioning properly.

After owning two other CO detectors I would recommend that one simply figure out a way to remind yourself to routinely replace these at the 5 year life span point, because when they finally wear out they alarm.

Our first one did so while we were gone and not knowing what was happening when we returned and found it alarming we were told by the gas company to stay out of the home and call the fire department. Our whole community volunteer fire department arrived. They donned their respirator masks and marched quick time, into our home with their axes in port arms position! Though they were going to start demolishing the place (they looked ready, willing, and very able to).

What nice Saturday night entertainment for the neighborhood.

We learned from the Fire Chief that CO detectors just wear out and that our house was safe to occupy.

The second CO detector "wore out" in the middle of the night. It was during the summer so I knew that it wasn't our gas furnace that had gone faulty, etc., but what a way to be awakened.